I’ve always been a good sleeper but since having kids I don’t find that I get a real deep sleep. I hear the roof crackle, the toilet flush, the insects breath lol (you get the gist). But in the last two years I’ve had a bad case of insomnia on and off. I go through phases where I sleep quite well and then I can go for months where I’m living off three to four hours sleep a night. It’s exhausting, emotionally draining and makes me moody and teary. It’s really not fun.
Most recently, in March I was heading overseas child free. Yippee some of you may say, and I thought that too…..until the anxiety and insomnia MOFO kicked in. I had major anxiety because I also had back/hip pain so worrying about sleeping on the flight, worried about how my little man would cope with a change in routine, worried about my eldest son who was worried and also had anxiety. Life was in full planning mode cos like any mum when they go away, they make sure everything is done for their husband/children like lunches, clothes washed etc.
I wasn’t sleeping. I was awake until 4am most nights and getting back up at 630am to get kids ready for school. By lunch time I was needing a nap or a cry….or both. Funny thing is, I knew what was contributing to it this time, but I just couldn’t get to sleep. I tried every natural remedy possible….any remedy known to man.
I put the call out on Instagram stories asking for remedies and I was absolutely inundated with the response. So many of you suffer Insomnia which completely shocked me. Due to the response I said I would write a blog with all of the remedies I tried….what worked and what didn’t and what people recommended. So here tis.
What I tried:
- Sleep Tea from T2. I tried this as my first option as I had heard a number of people recommend it. I did feel it relaxed me but it wasn’t enough to get to me to sleep. I tried this for about 4-5 days.
- Brain Dumping and Journaling. I would get up out of bed or even do this prior to going to bed. Write down all the things that were on my mind before I went to bed. Write an affirmation to release all of the negative thoughts and anxiety.
- Magnesium Spray on my feet. I was recommended this by more than 20 people and had also seen a number of people on Instagram talk about it.
- Bioceutical Ultra Muscleze Night Rest and Recharge
- Rescue Remedy spray
- Sleep Meditation on You Tube. I was listening to this every night. I just googled Sleep Meditation and listened to a Deep Sleep Meditation. Keep in mind your phone will stay on while listening so I had mine face down on the floor under my bed.
- Swiish Sleep Powder. I loved this. I tried it the first night and felt I made it too strong and it wasn’t mixed enough. The second night and all nights proceeding that I made it with 1 scoop of powder into almond milk so it wasn’t as heavy in my tummy and I really felt this made the difference.
What I was recommended but didn’t get to try
- Body Shop Sleep Spray
- Chamomile Tea
- Get Sunlight first thing in the morning to reset melatonin levels
- Aroma Snooze from Lively Living
- Blue Blockers
- Beauty Chef Sleep Blend
- Shower before going to bed
So, if Insomia is a bitch for you and you are seeking some natural and alternative methods be sure to give these a try. I really felt like the magnesium spray and the SWIISH Sleep Powder made a real difference. I have also since returning from overseas used the Sleep function on my iphone religiously. I know that my body and mind have trouble switching off when I’m busy so it’s a little reminder that its time to switch off and go to bed.
For all of you that have been asking about this blog, apologies it’s taken a while to get it to you but I hope it helps you if you are seeking some natural alternatives.
All the sleepy best to kicking insomnia to the curb.
Much luv, Kara
Shop My Mindful Year, A Mindful Movement for Doing Life www.mymindfulyear.com.au